The Crazy Process of Making a Bunkbed!

Hey guys! Sooo this week just flew by and now I’m trying to imagine where the week went! Not much is new here so I’ll just get right into the post! 

 

So a few months ago my sister L asked for her Birthday if my dad and I would make her a bunk bed/desk…which was one of the hardest wood projects we’ve ever attempted! Not only does our shed not fit that large a wood project we also ran into a lot of weird wood shapes we had to work with! 

We used mostly pine and we did use plywood to make the box for the bed to sit on. All the wood we used was from our own property (minus the plywood – the pine was trees we’d cut down and had cut into boards)…unfortunately we had to work around a lot of problems (warped from rain, knots in the wood…etc)

Price:

White Paint – $36

Wood Screws – $20

8 Wood Bolts $1.50 each – $12

The end price was about 70ish dollars, which is awesome because after searching around some of the lower prices for the kind of bunk bed she wanted is about $350, and the highest about 1,000. What was awesome about building it ourselves, was that we could customize it to her height! I didn’t get any pictures through the process (which I will be doing from now on).

The time it took to make: About 15 hours – and because of schedule conflicts, it took us about a month in total to finish it. Making it officially the longest project! 

Basically, we started with the plywood box (the part where the bed sits), then we made the legs and VERY carefully stood it up…after that, we simply had to put on the braces, make a ladder, desk, and the railings. 

 

Funny story about all the “fun” we had bringing it inside…so if you look closely you’ll realize that the bed isn’t exactly light looking so how we brought it in was we took the whole thing apart and carried it in then reset it up! When we took it apart dad and I literally stood underneath it and held it up while the girls took the legs out from underneath it. And guys….it was HEAVY! So me being me, I “tried” to balance some of the weight on my head (does anyone else do that, or am I the only one?). Anyways that didn’t help at all, except to lose my grip even more which didn’t help my poor head at all! 😂😂😂

*Moral of the story – Don’t balance anything over a hundred pounds on your head…it hurts!

dmsfkfnsq1swtywjdenw.jpg

And the end result is…….

fullsizeoutput_b2f
blurring for privacy…

I really like the result and she really enjoys it! The cat has even concurred his fears and climbed the ladder!

*note: no one was hurt in the process of making this bed…except for the few bruises, cuts, headaches, and scrapes.

 

fullsizeoutput_b30

Also, I came across this picture my sister took of Winnie and me! I believe the photo was taken right after we finished moving a mattress so I just plopped down there and Winnie came over to snuggle! Our reaction towards each other is hilarious! 

Making a Small Wooden Bench

Hey guys! Just recently my dad and I made a small bench for the end of our table! We used many leftover materials we had laying around from a project we had done recently…I’ll be posting about the project soon! Here’s how we made it, how much it cost us, and how long it took! The materials we used were pine for the legs and support pieces and the top was from an old desk we ripped down for other projects. Enjoy 🙂

First, we cut out the design for the legs of the bench!
Next, we cut out the top and sanded down the rough spots
We also sanded down the legs to keep the splinters away
We attached the legs and top together…..
We then attached two support pieces to the side to make it a bit more sturdy
Finished result selfie!!

 

Dimensions: 

Width length – 38 inches

Length (from legs to top piece) – 18 inches

Seat width – 11 7/8 inches

 

Cost: 

Wood – used scrap pieces laying around

Glue – used older wood glue (not sure what that would have cost)

Screws – 4ish dollars

Sandpaper – used an older piece from another project

In the end…this project cost about 6 dollars

 

Time: About 1 and a half hours from start to finish!

 

Just this evening I found the cat trying it out for the first time! 

831jZW88Sx+kWCRHOBCaLg

In the end, this project was super easy and not at all expensive! Let me know what you think about it in the comments below 🙂